TIPS TO HELP REDUCE SUMMER ENERGY BILLS
San Diego Gas & Electric (SDG&E) is offering tips and resources to help its customers reduce energy bill spikes that could occur due to hot weather and an increase in working from home and homeschooling during the pandemic.
1. If you’d like to lower your energy use and bills this summer, here are a few tips you can consider. If you are on a Time-of-Use (TOU) pricing plan, shift some of your energy use to lower-cost hours outside of the 4 p.m. – 9 p.m. peak period. If you don’t know which pricing plan you’re on, visit sdge.com/myaccount.
2. When streaming content, choose the smallest device that makes sense for the number of people watching.
3. Turn down the thermostat on your water heater a few degrees because gas or electricity are needed to heat your water.
4. Make sure you check your AC filter every 1-2 months. Dirty filters cause your system to work harder to keep you cool, wasting energy.
5. Get more energy-saving tips at sdge.com/summer.
SDG&E has payment assistance programs that can help residents save on their monthly bills. These programs are available to those who meet income eligibility criteria and include; the California Alternate Rates for Energy (CARE) program, the Family Electric Rate Assistance (FERA) and LIHEAP, the federally funded Low- Income Energy Assistance Program. More information is available at sdge.com/assistance. Customers who are concerned about higher summer bills cannenroll in a Level Pay Plan to smooth out the monthly cost fluctuations. Learn more at sdge.com/LPP. If you need more time to pay your bill, Call SDG&E’s Customer Contact Center at 1-800-411-7343 to make payment arrangements.